Virtual reality, also referred to as VR is a technology that uses a headset to generate images and sounds and other cues that help to make the user believe they are in an imaginary environment.
A person using a virtual reality headset is able to move their head and see the artificial world as if it was real. Virtual reality worlds can be created to seem real or science fiction.
The term virtual reality was first used in a book published in 1938, and then in 1982 in a science fiction book.
Virtual reality began in the 1960s when a head mounted display was created but it took many years before the consumer market began to be truly interested in it. It wasn't until the 2010s that a virtual reality device truly peaked consumer interest.
Interesting Virtual Reality Facts:
1. Virtual reality is meant to enhance real life, not replace it.
2. Virtual reality is being used in health care. It allows medical students to practice dangerous procedures and gain experience without actually operating on a human. It can also help surgeons determine the best point of entry for surgeries.
3. Scientists with NASA can use virtual reality to enable robot arms in space to perform gestures that are being done on earth with an operator.
4. Oculus VR is a company that launched a Kickstarter project to release virtual reality goggles in the 2010s. Their goggles brought a lot of interest to virtual reality after many years of not a lot of interest by industry or consumers. With the use of Oculus, people are able to travel via virtual reality without actually having to pack, fly, and spend the money on a real trip. Facebook purchased Oculus VR for $2 billion in 2014.
5. The global AR and VR market is expected to grow to $209.2 billion by 2022.